Jon Seeling… The Owner of 98 Bar-B-Que
Located at 5008 Hwy 98 West, Unit 1, my family frequents 98 Bar-B-Que for their great-tasting brisket, ribs and potato salad. A couple of years ago, when we were looking to buy a turkey for Thanksgiving, we ordered a smoked one from 98 Bar-B-Que. While the thought of ordering a turkey from a bar-b-que joint might seem odd, it was the best tasting turkey we had ever eaten. The authentic, juicy and amazing smoked taste has brought us back year after year for our Thanksgiving turkeys. We even ordered a sliced one for a Holiday party. I talked with Jon recently about 98 Bar-B-Que, his catering business and his Holiday turkeys.
Jon Seeling is a man of gratitude, happy to serve his customers and thankful for his success. His journey started at 19 when he joined his dad’s seafood restaurant in Destin. While working at Buster’s, he learned all he could about cooking seafood. Moving to Cincinnati for a few years with his wife in 2000, Jon worked for Famous Dave’s Bar-B-Que, getting an education in the business of making bar-b-que.
After moving back to this area, Jon decided to open 98 Bar-B-Que in 2007, with the goal of making the best tasting food and building a restaurant that customers would enjoy frequenting on a regular basis. Jon has won both the People’s Choice and the Critics’ Choice Award for his Gumbo at the Great Southern Gumbo Cook-off in Destin.
Jon expanded his restaurant in 2010 to include some family-friendly amenities. He added a few tv’s, a foosball table, shuffleboard and a Pac-Man video game. It is easy to sit down and eat with your family, and then let the kids enjoy a game of shuffleboard while you enjoy some adult conversation. As far as running his successful business, Jon told me he likes to “keep it simple and avoid mediocrity.” Jon also credits his wife, Nicole, for his success. He said, “My wife Nicole is my biggest supporter and takes care of all the administrative duties. Our success has just as much to do with her as it does with me and our employees.” He said his favorite part about the business is that “no two days are the same.”
Jon said he set out to provide great-tasting, affordable options for his customers. In addition to offering a full menu, Jon offers tasty daily lunch specials. These include:
- Monday-Mama’s meatloaf served with 2 sides for $9.95.
- Tuesday-Nicole’s Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich with a cup of soup for $8.95.
- Wednesday-Blackened or Fried Shrimp with Cheese Grits for $9.95.
- Thursday-BBQ Nachos, Pork or Chicken for $10.95.
- Friday-Fried Catfish and Cheese Grits served with one side for $9.95.
Jon caters many local events like weddings and sporting or school events. While he offers a general catering menu, Jon told me he can be flexible and creative with special requests and has even made foods like Blackened Cobia Sandwiches. Call Jon to cater your special event today.
Jon is taking orders for your Thanksgiving Turkeys now through November 18th and orders should be picked up by 5:00pm on November 22nd. He has been roasting, smoking and frying Tom and Hen Turkeys for Thanksgiving since he opened his restaurant. You can also order a Smoked Ham Spiral. He offers side items a la carte or you can order anything off of his catering menu for your holiday meal here.
See below or click here to see the full Thanksgiving menu.
Turkeys and Hams:
- Roasted or Smoked Tom Turkeys, 21-24 lbs., feeds 10 to 12 $79.95
- Roasted, Smoked or Fried Hen Turkeys, 10-12 lbs, feeds 6 to 8 $49.95
- Smoked Ham Spiral, 6 to 8 lbs, feeds 6 to 8 people $39.95.
- Corn Bread Stuffing, feeds 8 to 10 $32.00
- Sweet Potato Casserole, feeds 8 to 10 $32.00
- Mashed Potatoes, feeds 8 to 10 $32.00
- Green Bean Casserole, feeds 8 to 10 $32.00
- Turkey Gravy, feeds 8 to 10 $9.00 per Quart
- Dinner Rolls $5.25 for 12
- Pecan Pie $15.00 (9” Pie)
- Pumpkin Pie $12.00 (9” Pie)
- Bread Pudding with Pralines $28.00 (½ Pan)
- Cheese Cake with Cherry Topping $35.00 (9” Pie)
Jon told me that he is “very thankful for where he is at, loves the community and the people that are part of it and loves getting to do what he wants to do.” Stop by and see Jon and satisfy your hunger by ordering some of his wonderful food. The restaurant is open from Monday through Saturday, 11a to 9p. 98 Bar-B-Que is closed Sunday so Jon and his crew can have a day of rest:)